- Degree (Awarding Institution)
- Ph.D. Economics (University of Pennsylvania)
- Undergraduate: Intermediate Macroeconomics (or Macroeconomics 2)
Graduate: Applied Macroeconomic Analysis
Membership of Professional Organizations
- American Economic Association
- Econometric Society
Main field of Research and Instruction
Macroeconomics, Computational Economics, Public Finance
Topic(s) of Research in Progress
An aging population and U.S. Social Security reform plans
How to close the fiscal gap (or how to make the fiscal policies sustainable)
The effect of Social Security spousal and survivors benefits
- “Fiscal Policy Effects in a Heterogeneous-Agent OLG Economy with an Aging Population,” Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 61, pp. 114-132, December 2015.
- “The Budgetary and Welfare Effects of Tax-Deferred Retirement Saving Accounts,” Journal of Public Economics, Vol. 95, Nos. 11-12, pp. 1561-1578, December 2011.
- “Does Social Security Privatization Produce Efficiency Gains?” (with Kent Smetters) Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 122, No. 4, pp. 1677-1719, November 2007.
- “Consumption Taxes and Economic Efficiency with Idiosyncratic Wage Shocks,” (with Kent Smetters) Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 113, No. 5, pp. 1088-1115, October 2005.
- “Bequests, Inter Vivos Transfers, and Wealth Distribution,” Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 892-931, October 2002.
Contact InformationOffice: Law and Economics East 812
E-mail: nishiyama*econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace * with @)