Akira TanakaActivity Database on
Education and Research
- Date and Place of Birth
- 1967/10/18, Hyogo Pref.
- Degree (Awarding Institution)
- Doctor of Economics (Kyoto University)
- Undergraduate: Business History of Modern Japan
Graduate: Business History of Modern Japan
Membership of Professional Organizations
- Business History Society of Japan (BHSJ)
- Japan Society for Distributive Sciences (JSDS)
- Japan Academy of International Business Studies (JAIBS)
- The Society for Industrial Studies, Japan
Main field of Research and Instruction
Japanese Economic and Business History, Industrial Studies, Natural Resource Economics
Topic(s) of Research in Progress
Strategy and Structure of Japanese Sogo Shosha or General Trading Companies Resource Networks, Especially Mining-Steel-Automobile Value Chain, and Rare Earths Trade
- A. Tanaka, Postwar Japan’s Mineral Industry: A Comparative History of Its Procurement System and Sogo Shosha, The University of Nagoya Press, 2012. (in Japanese)
- Y. Wang and A. Tanaka, “From Hierarchy to Hybrid: The Evolving Nature of Inter-Firm Governance in China’s Automobile Groups,” Journal of Business Research, Vol.64, No.1, 2011, 74-80.
- A Tanaka, “Why Were Sogo Shosha Needed?: Japan’s Develop-and-Import Scheme of Iron Ore in the 1960s,” Oikonomika, Vol.44, No.3&4, 171-194, 2008.