- Academic Degrees:
- Ph.D in Agriculture (Hokkaido University)
- Courses in charge:
- [Undergraduate] Agricultural Economics, International Agricultural Policy, Contemporary Economic Affairs
- [Graduate] International Political Economy of Agriculture, International Agribusiness Studies,
Critical Consumption Studies, Comparative Development Studies, Inclusive Rural Development,
Critical Food Studies, Field Research in Japan, Field Research in East Asia, Field Research in Europe
- Fields of Research:
- International Political Economy of Agriculture and Food
- Global Food Governance, Multinational Agribusiness, Agrarian Issues, Civic Agri-food System
- ‘The Possibility of Civic Agri-food Systems: Some experiences in the United States and European countries and future perspectives towards the Post Corona Era’, Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], December 2020, 86(11): 154-167. (in Japanese)
- ‘The Possibility and Challenges of Multifunctional Agriculture and Civic Agri-food Systems in the Netherlands’. Nohgyo-Nohkyo-Mondai-Kenkyu [Journal of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives Issues], July 2020, 72: 39-54. (in Japanese)
- ‘Political Economy of World Food Security’. In: Y. Tashiro and T. Tabata eds. Policy Issues on Food, Agriculture and Rural Areas, Tokyo: Tsukuba-shobo, December 2019, pp.83-127. (in Japanese)
- ‘A Theoretical Framework to Analyze the Capitalist Food System: From Food Regime to the Financialisation of Food and Agriculture’ (with Midori Hiraga). Journal of International Development Studies, 28(1): 19-37, June 2019. (in Japanese)
- ‘Diversity of Dutch Agriculture: Realities of Food Valley and Possibilities of Multifunctional Agriculture’. Keizai-ronso [The Economic Review], 193 (2): 1-38, April 2019. (in Japanese)
- ‘A Study on Peasants’ Behavior and Peasants’ Niche in Contemporary China’s Agri-food Supply System: Evidence from Henan province’ (with Jinghan Ke). In: L. Augustin-Jean and J-P. Poulain eds., Risk and Food Safety in China and Japan: Theoretical Perspectives and Empirical Insights, Routledge, September 2018, pp.153-180.
- ‘Agricultural Property Rights and Biopiracy Problems: Historical Background and Recent Development’. Nogyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], November 2018, 84(11): 60-78. (in Japanese)
- ‘Revitalising Rurality under the Neoliberal Transformation of Agriculture; Experiences of Re-agrarianisation in Japan’ (with M. Akitsu and S. McGreevy). Journal of Rural Studies, July 2018, 61: 290-301.
- ‘Lobbying and Discursive Activities of Agricultural Groups and Agribusiness Corporations over International Trade and Investiment Negotiations: A Critique of “Internationalism vs Protectionism” Discourse’. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], April 2018, 84(3): 33-45. (in Japanese)
- ‘The increasing appropriation of seed by transnational agribusiness corporations and the possibility of social movement’. Japanese Journal of Organic Agriculture Science, December 2016, 8(2): 11-15. (in Japanese)
- ‘Transnational Agribusiness Corporations: The Control of Agricculture, Food and Seed’. In: T. Masugata, Y. Taniguchi and M. Tachikawa eds., Sociology of Food and Agriculture, Kyoto: Minerva-shobo, May 2014, pp.41-67.
- ‘The Right to Food Discourse and the Prospect for International Human Rights Regime’. In: T. Murata ed., Shokuryo-shuken no Grand Design [Grand Design for Food Sovereignty], Tokyo: Nobunkyo, February 2011, pp.161-206.
- Reconstructing Biotechnologies: Critical Social Analyses. Eds with J. Jonderden and G. Ruivenkamp, Wageningen Academic Publishers, April 2008.
- Agribusiness and GM Crops: Political Economy Approach. Tokyo: Nihonkeizaihyoronsha, July 2002.
Back to list
Membership of Professional Organizations
- Political Economy & Economic History Society
- Agricultural Economics Society of Japan
- Agricultural Marketing Society of Japan
- Rural Issues Association of Japan
- International Sociological Association RC40
- European Society for Agricultural and Food Ethics etc.