- Academic Degrees:
- Ph.D in Agriculture (Hokkaido University)
- Courses in charge:
- [Undergraduate] Agricultural Economics, International Agricultural Policy, Contemporary Economic Affairs
- [Graduate] International Political Economy of Agriculture, International Agribusiness Studies,
Political Economy of Governance, Comparative Development Studies, Inclusive Rural Development,
Critical Food Studies, Field Research in Japan, Field Research in East Asia, Field Research in Europe
- Fields of Research:
- International Political Economy of Agriculture and Food
- Food Security, Food Governance, Agribusiness, Social Movement
- ‘A Study on Peasants’ Behavior and Peasants’ Niche in Contemporary China’s Agri-food Supply System: Evidence from Henan province’ (with Jinghan Ke). In: L. Augustin-Jean and J-P. Poulain eds., Risk and Food Safety in China and Japan: Theoretical Perspectives and Empirical Insights, Routledge, September 2018, pp.153-180.
- ‘Agricultural Property Rights and Biopiracy Problems: Historical Background and Recent Development’. Nogyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], November 2018, 84(11): 60-78. (in Japanese)
- ‘Revitalising Rurality under the Neoliberal Transformation of Agriculture; Experiences of Re-agrarianisation in Japan’ (with M. Akitsu and S. McGreevy). Journal of Rural Studies, July 2018, 61: 290-301.
- ‘Lobbying and Discursive Activities of Agricultural Groups and Agribusiness Corporations over International Trade and Investiment Negotiations: A Critique of “Internationalism vs Protectionism” Discourse’. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], April 2018, 84(3): 33-45. (in Japanese)
- ‘The Process and Problems with the Repeal of the Main Crops Seed Law of Japan: A need to revisit the role of public seed programme’. Kyoto University Graduate School of Economics Discussion Paper Series J-17-001, April 2017.
- ‘The increasing appropriation of seed by transnational agribusiness corporations and the possibility of social movement’. Japanese Journal of Organic Agriculture Science, December 2016, 8(2): 11-15. (in Japanese)
- ‘Studying Sustainable Development in an International and Multidisciplinary Setting: An experience of international graduate education for critical agrarian studies at Kyoto University’ (with H.M.Rajaonarison). Kyoto University AGST Working Paper Series No.2016-01, November 2016.
- ‘Transnational Agribusiness Corporations: The Control of Agricculture, Food and Seed’. In: T. Masugata, Y. Taniguchi and M. Tachikawa eds., Sociology of Food and Agriculture, Kyoto: Minerva-shobo, May 2014, pp.41-67.
- ‘A Comparison of the Conventionalisation Process in the Organic Sector in Japan and Australia’ (with S. Jordan). Agricultural Marketing Journal of Japan, June 2011, 20(1): 15-26.
- ‘The Right to Food Discourse and the Prospect for International Human Rights Regime’. In: T. Murata ed., Shokuryo-shuken no Grand Design [Grand Design for Food Sovereignty], Tokyo: Nobunkyo, February 2011, pp.161-206.
- Reconstructing Biotechnologies: Critical Social Analyses. Eds with J. Jonderden and G. Ruivenkamp, Wageningen Academic Publishers, April 2008.
- Agribusiness and GM Crops: Political Economy Approach. Tokyo: Nihonkeizaihyoronsha, July 2002.
Back to list
Membership of Professional Organizations
- Political Economy & Economic History Society
- Agricultural Economics Society of Japan
- Agricultural Marketing Society of Japan
- Rural Issues Association of Japan
- International Sociological Association RC40
- European Society for Agricultural and Food Ethics etc.