Admission, EMJMD Scholarship Selection and Tuition Fees
How to apply: Apply and submit all necessary supporting documentation via the GLOCAL program’s online application system. (The International Joint Master Degree Program involving Kyoto University is “Study Track D”).
Required Documents: English Score – IELTS (or TOEFL iBT), Letter of Recommendation x 2,
Copy of Diploma and/or Academic Transcript. etc. (Make sure to follow the instructions on the GLOCAL Program website)
Minimum Entry Requirements: GPA 3.0, English – IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL iBT90 minimum (2023 entry)
For more details please refer to the URL below
Application Period: Late September. – Early January.(Application deadline for 2023 Admission: Jan. 6th 2023)
Application Fee: N/A
Announcement of Screening result: February – early March.
Admission Information Session: Click here to see the latest information
◆EMJMD Scholarship Application/Selection
This Scholarship covers tuition fees and gives support for travel costs and living costs (during your stay in UK or EU, and only for a limited period outside of UK/EU).
How to apply: Apply and submit all necessary documentation via the GLOCAL program’s online application system below.
Application Period: Late Sept. – Early Jan. (Same period as the program application above. You will apply for both simultaneously.)(Application deadline for 2023 Admission: Jan. 6th 2023)
Announcement of Screening result: April
Of the 8 students admitted to Study Track D normally 3 will be scholarship students. Please note that this is not, however, guaranteed.
◆Reduced fees for up to 3 Japanese nationals (including special permanent residents of Japan) on the program as a whole (i.e. regardless of study track).
◆JASSO(Japan Student Services Organization) Scholarship
Our program has been adopted by JASSO as Student Exchange Support Program for 2022.
International students on the 2021-23 cohort (Track D) are eligible to apply for this scholarship if they meet both academic requirements and financial criteria.
Monthly stipend: 80,000yen/month for up to 12 months while they study in Japan.
Application by students is expected to start in July 2022
*For the 2022-24 cohort students, it will be announced in January 2023 whether this program will be successfully adopted by JASSO for 2023 again or not.
Admission Fee: N/A
Tuition Fee and economic conditions differ depending on whether you have a scholarship, and also depend on whether you are categorized as a program country or partner country applicant.
Please refer to the table 1) below.
Table 1) GLOCAL Tuition fee and economic conditions according to various categories
Click here to download.
1. GLOCAL Students take out EMPA (Erasmus Mundus Protect & Assist) insurance which is covered by GLOCAL.
You can see the benefit list on the URL below:
2021-23 and 2022-24 cohort: Please check the details.
2. In addition to the insurance above, students must take out the following insurance during their stay in each country
- UK: National Health Service (NHS):This costs £1248 for 2 years (as of 2021). This shall be paid as part of Student visa application.
- Spain: There is no need to take out national health insurance in Spain.
- Japan: Japanese National Health Insurance (NHI):
- This costs approximately 1500 yen per month.
For the University Co-op’s Insurance for students, please refer to the URL below
Accommodation and Living Costs
- GLOCAL Students do not spend a full academic year in Glasgow and are thus ineligible to apply for the University of Glasgow’s student accommodation. Nevertheless, there are a number of private options and the University of Glasgow provides support in introducing students to various student accommodation providers near the university. Average rents for students in Glasgow are approx. £140/week (approx. ¥90.000-¥100.000/month). In Barcelona, students can apply for a place at the University of Barcelona’s halls of residence directly, or find rooms/flats with the support of the Barcelona University Centre. Average rents for students in Barcelona are approx. €400-€700/month (approx. ¥60.000-¥70.000/month). Kyoto University also has accommodations which are open to applications from GLOCAL students. However, as there are a limited number of places it is not guaranteed that all applicants will be able to access these facilities. In such cases, Kyoto University offers advice and support to international students in securing private accommodation. Average rents for students in Kyoto are approx. ¥40.000-¥50.000/month.
- Average living costs including the rents above for students in Glasgow are approx. ¥150.000-¥170.000 per month, for students in Barcelona are approx. ¥150.000-¥170.000 per month, and for students in Japan are approx. ¥120.000-¥130.000 per month.
Please check details on the website below.
For your information, Student Route Visa (valid for the full duration of the program) for the UK in 2021costs £348.