Dr. Hisano, Shuji
- Professor, International Political Economy of Food and Agriculture
- Graduate School of Economics, Kyoto University
- Yoshida-hommachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
- Tel: 075-753-3451, Fax: 075-753-3492
Academic Papers and Book Chapters in English (*refereed)
- Hisano S. (2005) 'Disputes over Regulating GM Crops and Food', pp.251-257 in: Japan Environmental Council ed., The State of the Environment in Asia 2005/2006. Tokyo: Springer, 2005.
- Hisano S. (2003) 'Biodiversity and Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture', pp.235-240 in: Japan Environmental Council ed., The State of the Environment in Asia 2002/2003. Tokyo: Springer, 2003.
- Zaman Z. U., Hisano S. and Mishima T. (2001) 'The Role of Rice Processing Industries in Bangladesh: A Case Study of the
Sherpur District'. The Review of Agricultural Economics, No.57:
121-133, March 2001.
- Zaman Z. U., Hisano S. and Mishima T. (2000) 'The Benefits of Market Participation and the Rice Marketing Systemsin Bangladesh'. The Review of Agricultural Economics, No.56: 195-206,
- Hisano S. (2000) 'Situation of Agriculture and Food Production / Pesticide and Fertilizer Use and Sustainable-Ecological Agriculture', pp. 131-136 in: Japan Environmental Council ed., The State of the Environment
in Asia 1999/2000. Tokyo: Springer, 2000.
Academic Papers and Book Chapters in Japanese
- Hisano S. (2018) 'Lobbying and Discursive Activities of Agricultural Groups and Agribusiness Corporations over International Trade and Investiment Negotiations: A Critique of "Internationalism vs Protectionism" Discourse'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], 84(3): 33-45.
- Hisano S. (2017) 'The Repeal of the Main Crops Seed Law for Whom: A critique on the discourse of cost reduction'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agricultyure and Economy], 83(10): 121-135.
- Hisano S. (2017) 'The Repeal of the Main Crop Seed Law and Problems of the Abenomics Agricultural Policy'. Nouson to Toshi wo Musubu, 67(6): 42-50.
- Hisano S. (2017) 'A Critique of the Justification Discourse of GM Crops'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], 83(2): 62-74.
- Hisano S. (2016) 'The increasing appropriation of seed by transnational agribusiness corporations and the possibility of social movement'. Japanese Journal of Organic Agriculture Science, 8(2): 11-15.
- Hisano S. (2016) 'TPP Agreement and GMO Regulation'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], 82(2): 28-32.
- Hisano, S. (2014) 'Transnational Agribusiness Corporations: The Control
of Agricculture, Food and Seed', in: Masugata T., Taniguchi Y. and Tachikawa
M. eds., Sociology of Food and Agriculture, Kyoto: Minerva-Shobo, May 2014.
- Tomiyoshi M, Nishikawa Y, Kim K-H, Lee J-K and Hisano S. (2014) 'Management
of Indegenous Varieties and Consciousness of Stakeholders in South Korea:
An Investigation of Private Organisations and Resaerch Institutions', Journal
of Rural Problems, Vol.50, No.1, pp.49-54.*
- Tomiyoshi M., Nishikawa Y., Kim K-H., Lee J-K., and Hisano S. (2013) 'A Study of the Functions of Various Organizations Engaging in Seed Conservation
in South Korea: An Investigation of Government and Private Organizations'. Journal of Rural Problems,
Vol.49, No.1, pp.125-130, June 2013.*
- Hisano S. (2012) 'Who Control Seed? Global Seed Business and the Possibility of Alternative'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.78, No. 13, pp.5-21, December 2012.
- Hisano S. (2012) 'The Influence of Transnational Agribusinesses and TPP Negotiations'. Keizai [Economy], Vol.201, pp.154-165, June 2012.
- Hisano S. (2012) 'The Aim and Interest of U.S. Agribusiness Industry in TPP Negotiations'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.78, No.6, pp.58-74, May 2012.
- Hisano S. (2011) 'Food Security and Food Sovereignty'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.77, No.11, pp.48-61, November
- Hisano S. (2011) 'Advent of Global Food Insecurity Era and Food Sovereignty'. Keizai [Economy], No.191, pp.108-123, August 2011 / No.192, pp.118-133,
- Hisano S. (2011) 'Food Politics in the World Food Market' / 'Politics over Genetically Modified Organisms', pp.58-75 / pp.81-98 in: Ikegami K. and Harayama K. eds., Current Issues of Food and Agriculture, Kyoto: Nakanishiya, June 2011.
- Hisano S. (2011) 'The Right to Food Discourse and the Prospect for International Human Rights Regime', pp.171-207 in: Murata T. ed., Grand Design for Food Sovereignty, Tokyo: Nohbunkyo, February 2011.
- Hisano S. (2010) 'Global Strategy of Transnational Agribusiness Corporations in Agricultural Input Industries'. Agricultural Marketing Journal of Japan, Vol.19, No.3, pp.4-17, December 2010.*
- Hisano S. (2010) 'Food Politics and New Challenges for Civil Society Organisations in the Netherlands'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.76, No.4, pp.124-134,
- Hisano S. (2009) 'Financial Conditions of Transnational Agribusinesses under the World Food and Financial Crises'. Nohgyo-Nohkyo-Mondai-Kenkyu [Agriculture and Ag Co-op Issues Study], No.41, pp.17-27, May 2009.
- Hisano S. (2009) 'UN "Right to Food" Report and New Perspective for Agricultural Policy Reform'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.75, No.6, pp.37-48, June 2009.
- Hisano S. (2009) 'Stakeholder Networking of Organic Agriculture in the Netherlands'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.75, No.3, pp.40-47, March 2009.
- Hisano S. (2008) 'World Food Summit and International Organisations'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.74, No.14, pp.5-18, December 2008.
- Hisano S. (2008) 'New Development of Transnational Agribusinesses and Their Subsumption of Food and Agriculture under Global Capitalism', pp.81-127 in: Rural Issues Association in Japan, ed., Global Capitalism and Agriculture, November 2008.
- Hisano S. (2008) 'Transnational Agribusiness Corporations and CSR: A Critique of Social and Environmental Standards in Agrifood Value Chains'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.74, No.7, pp.15-28, July 2008.
- Hisano S. (2008) 'Political Economy of the Biofuel Boom: How clean is green?'. Nohgyo-Nohkyo-Mondai-Kenkyu [Agriculture and Ag Co-op Issues Study], No.38, pp.16-27, Feb 2008.
- Hisano S. (1007) 'Where are GM Technologies heading for?'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.73, No.12, pp.5-19, December 2007.
- Hisano S. (2007) 'Reorganization of Transnational Agribusinesses and Increasing Control of Food and Agriculture'. Keizai [Economy], No.140, pp.31-44, May 2007.
- Hisano S. (2006) 'Science, Technology and Society in Genetically Modified Crops'. Nihon-no-Kagakusha [Journal of Japanese Scientists], Vol.42, No.12, pp.22-27, December 2006.
- Hisano S. (2006) 'Nestle: Food Giant and its Social Responsibility'. Nohgyo-to-Keizai [Agriculture and Economy], Vol.72, No.5, pp.84-88, April 2006.
- Hisano S. (2005) 'The Sociology of GMOs: Should the Public Accept Such Technology?'. ILLUME - A TEPCO Semiannual Scientific Journal, Vol.17, No.1, pp.14-21, June 2005.
- Hisano S. (2005) 'Some Reflections on Agribusiness and GMOs: A reply to book reviews'. The Review of Agricultural Economics, No.61, pp.271-290, March 2005.
- Hisano A. (2005) 'Genetically Modified Crops: Commercialization led by Agrochemical Companies and its Legitimacy'. Kagaku [Science], Vol.75, No.1, pp.31-38, January 2005.*
- Hisano S. (2004) 'World Food Problem and GMOs', pp.223-250 in: Otsuka S. and Matsubara T. eds., Gendai-no-Shoku-to-Agribusiness
[Food and Agribusiness under Globalization]. Tokyo: Yuhikaku, May 2004.
- Hisano S. (2003) 'Disputes over Regulating GM Crops and Food', pp.324-329 in: Japan Environmental Council, ed., Asia Kankyo-Hakusho 2003/04 [White Paper on the Environment in Asia]. Toyo Keizai Inc., October 2003.
- 'The Procurement System of Vegetable Processing and Exporting Firms in
China: A Case Study in a Processing Company in Shandong Province (1)'
(with Hong Park et al., The Review of Agricultural Economics, No.58, pp.99-110,
- 'Safety Issue of GMOs and Global Trends of Regulatory Policies'
(pp.125-174 in Agricultural Marketing Society of Japan, ed., Shokuhin-no-Anzensei-to-Hinshitsuhyoji
[Food Safety and Labeling]. Tokyo: Tsukuba Pub., October 2001)
- 'Restructuring of Global Agro-Food System and Agricultural Science& Technology'
(pp.69-102 in Nakano I. and Sugiyama M. eds., Globalization-to-Kokusainohgyoshijo
[Globalization and International Agricultural Market]. Tokyo: Tsukuba Pub.,
- 'Biodiversity and Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture'
(pp.287-291 in Japan Environmental Council, ed., Asia Kankyo-Hakusho 2000/01
[White Paper on the Environment in Asia]. Toyo Keizai Inc., November 2000)
- 'Critical Review of the Legitimacyof GMO Development: Can Biotechnology
Help the Poor?'
(Nihon-no-Kagakusha [Journal of Japanese Scientists], Vol.35, No.5, pp.33-37,
- 'Trends of Japanese Soybean Market and New Movement of Farmers-Consumers Alignment'
(Nohgyokeizaikenkyu [Journal of Rural Economics], Special Issue, Proceedings
of Annual Conference of the Agricultural Economics Society of Japan, pp.284-289,
- 'Development of Agribusiness and Japanese Agriculture in Globalization:
WTO System and Food Sovereignty'
(Seikatsukyodokumiaikenkyu [Journalof Consumers' Co-op Institute], No.280,
pp.19-27, May 1999)
- 'Political Economy and Contemporary Capitalism'
(pp.207-227 in Ohtahara T., Mishima T., and Demura K., eds., Nohgyokeizaigaku-heno-Shotai
[Invitation to Agricultural Economics]. Tokyo: Nihonkeizaihyoron-sha, September
- 'International Trade and Environmental Problem'
(pp.116-126 in Yoshida K., ed., Kankyo-Daijiten [Dictionary of Environmental
Technology]. Tokyo: Kogyo Chosakai Pub., December 1998)
- 'Development of U.S. Agricultural Input Industry and Biotechnology'
(pp.55-71 in Nakano I., ed., Agribusiness-Ron [Agribusiness Study]. Tokyo:
Yuhikaku Pub., Jan 1998)
- 'Situation of Agriculture and Food Production', 'Pesticide and Fertilizer
Use and Sustainable-Ecological Agriculture'
(pp.280-287 in Japan Environmental Council, ed., Asia Kankyo-Hakusho 1997/98
[White Paper on the Environment in Asia], Toko Keizai Inc., December 1997)
- 'Development of U.S. Regulatory Policy on Biotechnology'
(Kankyo-to-Kogai [Research on Environmental Disruption], Vol.27, No.1,
pp.59-65, July 1997)
- 'Environment Problems and Scientific Socialism'
(pp.261-295 in Ajisaka M. and Nakata S, eds., Gendai-ni-Idomu-Yuibutsuron
[Materialism and Contemporary Questions], Tokyo: Gakushunotomosha Co.,
- 'Social Science Research on Agricultural Biotechnology: Critique and Perspective'
(Yuibutsuron-to-Gendai [Materialism and Contemporary Society], Vol.16,
pp.25-42, October 1995)*
- 'Rural Agriculture under the Structural Recession in Tango District, Kyoto'
(Chousa-to-Kenkyu [The Research and Study], Vol.7, pp.45-64, October 1994)
- 'TNC's Strategy in Agri-biotechnology and Seed Industry'
(The Economic Review, Vol.153, No.5/6, pp.17-39, May/June 1994)