Call for applications: Programme-specific Assistant Professor
Job Opening for a Programme-specific Assistant Professor
The Graduate School of Economics invites applications for a programme-specific (non-tenure track) assistant professor in the field of economics and social sciences, beginning March 1, 2017. Preference will be given to candidates with research interests and teaching experiences in sustainable socio-economic development studies, as well as a desire to work for the Kyoto University’s “Japan Gateway: Top Global Program” and its social sciences and humanities unit: “Asian Platform for Global Sustainability & Transcultural Studies (AGST)”, in which the successful candidate will be expected to develop and implement international joint education programmes in collaboration with our partner universities.
The Kyoto University “Japan Gateway” Programme is a part of the so-called “Top Global University Project”, launched in October 2014 by the Japanese government (MEXT) with the aim to develop greater international competitiveness of a handful of selected Japanese universities, including Kyoto University. The AGST comprises three graduate schools: Economics, Agriculture (Division of Natural Resource Economics) and Letters. The Graduate School of Economics is leading this unit project, collaborating with partner universities (University of Glasgow, UK; Copenhagen Business School, Denmark; Wageningen University, the Netherlands; Chulalongkorn University, Thailand; Renmin University of China; and Singapore Management University, among others) to establish double/joint degree programmes. The successful candidate will officially be affiliated with the Center for the Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research (C-PiER), in which six research area units of the “Japan Gateway” Programme, including AGST, are located.
Expectation and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with our international partner universities for the AGST Project at the faculty and unit level as well as for the “Japan Gateway” Programme at the university level.
- Develop and teach a range of graduate courses based on the successful candidate’s expertise consistent with the mission and curriculum needs of the international graduate programme for East Asia Sustainable Economic Development Studies Course: such as “Introduction to Field Research Methods” and “Local and Global Governance of Natural Resources”.
- Teach undergraduate course “English for Economics” at the Kyoto University Institute for Liberal Arts and Science (ILAS).
- Participate actively in educational and administrative duties normally undertaken by faculty members at the Graduate School of Economics.
March 1, 2017
Rank and Title
Programme-specific Assistant Professor
The initial contract term is three years (until March 31, 2020). The contract is renewable, based on internal evaluation of teaching, research and programme-specific activities, only once for a maximum of two years up to March 31, 2022.
Salary and Support
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The discretionary labour system will be applied (hours worked are deemed to be as pre-determined in the Labour and Management Agreement and bear no relation to actual hours worked). Enrolment in the social insurance system, which consists of Employees’ Health Insurance, Employees’ Pension Insurance, and the Employment Insurance, is required. Kyoto University will cover half of the insurance costs.
Requirements for the position:
- Ph.D degree in economics and social sciences, or the equivalent and experience in scholarly research and educational activities at an institution of higher education
- Native-level communication skills in English
- Intermediate-level communication skills in Japanese
Application Materials and deadline
Evidence of excellent teaching and research abilities is essential. Qualified applicants should submit the following documents to SGU Selection Committee, General Affairs Office, Graduate School of Economics, Kyoto University, Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan. Application materials must be submitted only by registered postal mail (Email submissions are NOT acceptable). The deadline for the arrival of the complete application by post is October 21, 2016.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of academic works, including academic publications (please indicate if they are published in refereed journals) and presentations, funded research projects, and educational activities.
- A sample of three works, including at least one extensive research article, together with abstracts in English (approx. 200 words).
- A copy of the diploma and/or a certificate of the completion of the degree(s) earned.
- A letter of recommendation.
- Contact information for our correspondence.
Please be advised that we will not return your application documents. These documents will be used only for selecting a qualified candidate.
We will be interviewing the selected candidates by Skype. The date of the interview will be notified. We may request the selected candidates to submit additional materials for the interview.
General Affairs Office at the Graduate School of Economics
Kyoto University promotes gender equality. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.